Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Alfalfa Studio: Graphic Design, Branding, Web Design and Visual ...

After watching Adele harvest 6 awards at the Grammys Sunday night I realized something. Humanity as a whole has finally come to terms with several painful and much inconvenient truths about love. Love hurts, love is the ultimate common denominator, and love can help you win several Grammys! On the contrary, though, the lack of love has a much bigger significance, simply because of the fact that at some point in every person’s life, they felt the way Adele did writing her much anticipated and (as of Sunday night) Grammy winning album, 21. While love sells, and what is a better example than Valentine’s Day, the lack of love, its absence, and the dreaded aftermath really have the ability to speak to our hearts, more so than the happiness of having found it.

In light of what is said above, it should come as no surprise that love doesn’t quite cut it when it comes to logo design, either. Let’s admit it: while love is great and we all love to love and spread our love and let love prevail and so forth, to many of us jaded souls, the concept of love we all grew to understand is a bit redundant and gooey. In love life and logo design alike, I wish we would opt for the clean, simple, and to-the-point. I also wish the examples of graphic design featured below had done the same.

Hearts in logo design, so I have been told since day one, are a no-no. Sometimes, and only in some instances, it’s important to use a heart shape to get a point across. If possible, however, graphic hearts should be generally avoided (and I’m really tempted to add at any cost). Heart as a shape, to put it bluntly, is a little outdated and much overused. Let’s assess some of the more common heart logos out there.

1. POM WONDERFUL:

When I talk about exceptions in reference to the use of hearts for logo design, this is one of them. Alongside innovative packaging, the POM Wonderful logo really gives people like me hope that, one day, people would be able to fully take advantage of the heart shape and use it as successfully.

POM truly is Wonderful

2. American Heart Association:

I get it. It’s the American HEART Association. Fair enough. Fun fact about this logo: it looks a lot better when you look really closely. Don’t believe me? Test it yourself!

Not what it seems. American Heart Association

3. JDate:

I guess that since this is a dating site logo, it is somewhat appropriate. My only problem with this one, apart from the ones mentioned above, is how plain this logo is. While the idea is pretty nice, this logo could benefit from a better execution.

Meh. JDate

4. I Love NY:

The typeface used for this logo is American Typewriter. I’m emphasizing this because if this weren’t the I Love NY Logo, I would have dismissed it almost on the spot. Designed by Milton Glaser, this logo has so much history and timeless grace to it.

An oldie and exceptional. I Love NY

5. Belfast:

Our friends at Logo Design Love reviewed this logo, made for the capital of Northern Ireland, about 3 years ago. It is as if the prone-to-dismissal heart shape is camouflaged to make believe that it isn’t what it is. Good.

Sets an example. Belfast

6. I Love Lucy:

This is more of a tribute to the late 1950’s show. Not much to say; graphic design was still up and coming around that period. The quotation marks are a bit banal, but nothing I have to say could ever make anyone who is an avid Lucy fan like it less.

Who doesn't? I Love Lucy

7. Comme de Garçons:

7. Comme de Garçons: The French sounding Japanese luxury brand has a strange, a tad scary look. I find it bizarre and intriguing, unlike other heart logos I see. This logo definitely makes me want to know more about the brand. Just to clarify: I wouldn’t call this logo pretty, let alone perfect, but it is definitely interesting.

Weird and we like it. Comme Des Garcons

Happy Valentines Day y’all!

0 comments:

Post a Comment