Saturday, April 21, 2012

Art and Alfalfa: Step by step, my secret weapon, the DUP cake

Deception

"The Daughters of the Utah Pioneers" Cake

also known as the DUP Cake.

Are you 18 years or older? Are you a lineal descendant of an ancestor who came to Utah before the completion of the railroad on May 10, 1869?  If so, you might win this cake!

Every year I am asked to contribute my famous, home made cake to the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers (DUP) bake sale. The first year, it was auctioned off to a Professor of History from the "Big City". The next year a member of the DUP won my cake.

The very next year, I received a phone call the night before the bake sale asking me when exactly would I be bringing the cake. The caller was waiting for me at the front door. The next year, the organizer met me at the door and the cake disappeared.

The following year I received a phone call, aksing me to please bring the cake AND the cake recipe. My recipe? Oh no, I can't do that. It is a secret. But I will share my secret with you.

So simple, all you need is one pound cake, your favorite preserves and Butter Cream (recipe follows).

Cut pound cake (Sarah Lee or from Costco) into 3 or 4 slices.

Butter Cream: cream together 1½ cups soft, unsalted butter,

2 to 2½ cups powdered sugar and
2 to 3 TB fresh lemon juice.
On first layer spread your favorite fruit preserve.
Next  layer spread butter cream filling, and last layer, more preserves.
Cover entire cake with the remaining butter cream.  Decorate with violets or little violas.

Have a lovely weekend my dear
Blogging Friends

Gina

0 comments:

Post a Comment