Saturday, March 24, 2012

Art and Alfalfa: See how Easy

 On the table was a small French Moustiers Plate

My Friend Mark, of All Things Ruffnerian

noticed it right away. 
He wrote "I like the almost calligraphy-like brushwork"

That gave me an idea.
Why not copy the design and this time paint the images onto Dinner sized plates.

First you smooth out the surface of the once-fired clay (bisque) plate with sandpaper.  Then, center on banding wheel and draw a pencil circle (helps center the design).

Transfer design onto plate with Saral copy paper.
Paint design.  Brush on clear glaze.
Pencil lines and red transfer lines will burn off during firing. 

Now ready to go into my Kiln

Plates on several bottom shelves and smaller items on top.

In the corner of my basement the kiln  has almost reached 1800 degrees.  It will shut itself off.

The firing took 8 hours, then cooled for another 10 hours.

The small perforated plates are original, hand painted French Moustiers Plates, the Dinner plates are only one day old and hand painted by me. 

Would you like to learn how?

I will be teaching several 2-day workshops in June, July and August.

No prior experience necessary.

Have a wonderful weekend my dear

Blogging Friends.


 

0 comments:

Post a Comment